Community articles

From runway to OK!

While OFW is still on a smaller scale than New York, Paris or London fashion weeks, this year’s gathering was bigger and included more events than ever before. In fact, it marked the first in which designers came in from cities such as Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Chicago. The opportunity for Oklahomans to

Sustainable learning

They do not lack for ambition, aiming to transform SixTwelve an oasis for creativity and sustainability. “Our areas of focus will be art, music, film, cooking, gardening and sustainable living practices,” said Young. “We’ll have a preschool during the day, after-school programs for kids and classes for adults.”                         She and Varnum said they have

Cinemix

While it’s more fun to watch a movie with other people than by yourself, heavier cinematic fare doesn’t always work so well in a group where most of the viewers are more blockbuster-minded. What’s a serious film buff to do? This dilemma prompted Alex Palmer to create the OKC Film Club, which holds its second

Let it ride

Tracy Senat Credit: Mark Hancock In 2002, she lost her sight and forfeited her driving privileges. Since then, she’s been relying on mass transit and other social service agencies for transportation. But each of them has limitations, which means Webster and others in her situation can’t get up and go at a moment’s notice. “It’s

TEEM player

Kris Steele at a TEEM graduation Credit: Mark Hancock Since November, he has led The Education and Employment Ministry (TEEM) as its executive director. Founded in 1987, the Oklahoma City-based nonprofit began as a support center for men battling substance abuse, but now focuses on providing free education and job placement services to men and

Love and marriage

Moliere Bridal Am I married? No. But ask me how many times I’ve been a bridesmaid. The answer is 13. I don’t mind, because I find weddings to be generally exciting celebrations of love. In my experience, a happy bride makes all the difference. If she can’t check things off the seemingly endless list of

Sensible sex ed

Kathy Harms Credit: Mark Hancock “My cousin was a myth believer,” one student shared. “She believed that if it’s the first time you have sex, you couldn’t get pregnant. Yeah, she’s pregnant now.” It’s clear to Harms that more and better sex education is the most effective way to counter misinformation. “We teach car safety,

Fashion Week is OK!

Since Alex Wehrley’s arrival in Oklahoma City, the host of KSBI Channel 52’s Oklahoma Live! has wasted no time getting involved with the community. That includes sitting on the board of Race Dance Company, taking an active role in Better Block OKC and now serving as emcee of Saturday night’s Oklahoma Fashion Week event. A

WordPress Lightbox