Paint the Campus Pink Week
The University of Central Oklahoma joins the fight against breast cancer with Paint the Campus Pink Week, Feb. 17-22, and the 4th annual Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, Feb. 24-27.
“Paint the Campus Pink Week allows our student-led committee to bring awareness and education about breast cancer to the students, faculty and staff on campus,” said Nicole Doherty, coordinator for Campus Activities and Student Organizations.
“These events not only get campus excited about the Big Pink Volleyball Tournament, but also educate our students about what they are playing for and their part in finding a cure.”
Themed “Pinkxar,” a play on Pixar, Paint the Campus Pink Week events include:
- “Pinkcredibles” Fitness Contest and Zumbathon, 5 p.m. Feb. 17, Nigh University Center (NUC) Ballrooms: Compete in the Big Pink Fitness Competition or try Zumba, a dance-based exercise.
- “Pinkatouille” Cookies, Cupcakes and Sweet Shop, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Feb. 18, NUC second floor: Decorate cookies and enjoy Gigi’s Cupcakes while raising money for breast cancer research.
- “There’s a Cure in My Boot,” Western Dance, 8-10:30 p.m. Feb. 19, NUC Ballrooms: Join Big Pink and “Toy Story” characters Woody and Buzz to learn to two-step and enjoy complimentary chicken strips from Slim Chickens.
- Pink UP! Balloons of Love, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 20, Blue Tent at Broncho Lake: Release a balloon in honor or in memory of those affected by breast cancer. Balloons are $1 each; proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen Central and Western Oklahoma.
- “Finding a Cure” Goldfish and Trivia, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 21, Broncho Lake Clock Tower: Win prizes while learning about breast cancer, how it affects women and men and how to be a part of the fight to find a cure.
- Pink Out Basketball Game, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Feb. 22, Hamilton Field House: Attendees are encouraged to wear pink and cheer on UCO men’s and women’s basketball.
Central’s Big Pink Volleyball Tournament begins at 5 p.m. Feb. 24 in the UCO Wellness Center. The weeklong single-elimination tournament features a giant twist – teams play with a four-foot pink volleyball.
Since its inception in 2011, the tournament has raised more than $11,000 for the Susan G. Komen Central and Western Oklahoma through registration fees and T-shirt sales. Teams of 6-10 players may register online for $5 per person through 5 p.m. Feb. 19. Participants of all physical abilities are welcome.
Where: University of Central Oklahoma
Address: 100 N. University